Over 60 dead in mall battle
Sep 24, 2013 / 6:58 am
Kenyan officials say three soldiers have died and eight others have been injured in a fight with militants who attacked an upscale mall in Nairobi.
The Kenyan Interior Ministry said Tuesday, the fourth day in fighting at the Westgate mall, that three soldiers "have succumbed to their injuries" and that eight others are still receiving treatment.
Earlier, the Kenyan Red Cross confirmed at least 62 people have been killed, but spokesman Abbas Gullet said it was still not known how many more may be dead inside the building.
A government official told The Associated Press that the morgue was preparing for up to 60 bodies, though the official didn't know an exact count. He insisted on anonymity for fear of retribution for talking to the press.
Read more World News
- Man dies after shark bites his foot in Maui
- Train going too fast at curve before crash
- Safety review after ferry commandeered
- Bangkok police remove concrete barriers
- Dozens of same-sex marriages in Hawaii
- Online spending better on Black Friday
- China launches rover to survey moon
- Unrepentant Nazi killer dies at 92
- NYC commuter train derails, killing 4
- Ukrainians stage huge anti-govt rally
- Speed a factor in deadly celeb car crash
- Passenger train derails near NY
(Click for RSS instructions.)