Obama - 'yet another mass shooting'
Sep 16, 2013 / 5:02 pm
President Barack Obama is mourning what he calls "yet another mass shooting" in the United States that took the life of what he says were American patriots.
Obama promised to make sure "whoever carried out this cowardly act is held responsible."
Authorities said at least 12 people were killed in a shooting rampage Monday at a Navy complex in the heart of the U.S. capital about 3 1/2 miles (5 kilometres) from the White House.
Obama said the victims were "courageous Americans" who knew about the risks of serving overseas, but wouldn't have expected such "unimaginable violence" at home.
Obama later telephoned Navy Secretary Ray Mabus to express his condolences and FBI Director James Comey to commend the agency's response. He also ordered flags on federal property to be flown at half-staff through Friday.
Read more World News
- Bride shared little emotion over his death
- Police clash with protesters in Ukraine
- Another theft from Walker's crash
- First national marketplace for legal pot
- Convicted killer executed in Oklahoma
- Backcountry skier survives avalanche
- World leaders pay tribute to Mandela
- Sound sleeper locked inside empty plane
- Guilty plea in ricin-laced letters sent
- World leaders gather in South Africa
- NY reporters sue Homeland Security
- Justin Bieber arrives in Philippines
(Click for RSS instructions.)