Suicide bomber kills 15 at funeral
Sep 14, 2013 / 7:13 am
A suicide bomber struck a funeral attended by members of an ethnic minority in northern Iraq on Saturday, Iraqi officials said, killing at least 15 in the latest episode of deadly violence to shake the country.
The bomber set off his explosive belt inside a tent during the afternoon ceremony held by members of the Shabak minority near the city of Mosul, 360 kilometres (225 miles) northwest of Baghdad.
Authorities said that the blast, in the village of Arto Kharab, also wounded 13 others.
The Shabaks are ethnic Turkomen and Shiite Muslims. Most of them live in villages east of Mosul, the provincial capital of the ethnically mixed Ninevah province that is predominantly Sunni Muslim.
Mosul has been a hub for al-Qaida in Iraq in past years, and militants have used violence and intimidation to drive hundreds of members of minority groups out of the city.
In other violence, Police officials said a roadside bomb hit a car in Dujail town, just north of the capital, killing the driver and his wife.
Also, police said an 11-year old boy was killed when a bomb hit a minibus travelling on a road near Suleiman Beg town, about 150 kilometres (95 miles) northeast of Baghdad.
Police said that gunmen also stormed a tile factory in eastern Baghdad, killing the factory owner and a worker.
Officials in nearby hospitals confirmed the death toll. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to journalists.
Iraq is weathering its deadliest bout of violence in half a decade, raising fears the country is returning to a period of widespread killing such as that which pushed it to the brink of civil war following the 2003 U.S.-led invasion.
Read more World News
- Biden in Beijing amidst tension
- Train engineer sleepy at the controls
- Band of Brothers soldier dies in NJ at 90
- Thai violence eases for king's birthday
- Texas executes convicted murderer
- Trapped underwater for 3 days
- Ferry theft leads to security review
- Iceland's 'first ever' fatal police shooting
- Bob Dylan handed preliminary charges
- Man dies after shark bites his foot in Maui
- Train going too fast at curve before crash
- Safety review after ferry commandeered
(Click for RSS instructions.)