Tokyo or Istanbul to host 2020 Olympics
Sep 7, 2013 / 1:18 pm
Madrid has been eliminated as a host city for the 2020 Olympics, leaving Tokyo and Istanbul to advance to the final round.
Madrid initially tied with Istanbul as an also-ran in the voting by the International Olympic Committee. Istanbul won the tiebreak vote 49-45.
The winner will now be determined in a second-round vote between the Japanese and Turkish cities.
Read more World News
- Biden in Beijing amidst tension
- Train engineer sleepy at the controls
- Band of Brothers soldier dies in NJ at 90
- Thai violence eases for king's birthday
- Texas executes convicted murderer
- Trapped underwater for 3 days
- Ferry theft leads to security review
- Iceland's 'first ever' fatal police shooting
- Bob Dylan handed preliminary charges
- Man dies after shark bites his foot in Maui
- Train going too fast at curve before crash
- Safety review after ferry commandeered
(Click for RSS instructions.)