Castro the kidnapper commits suicide
Sep 3, 2013 / 9:54 pm
Ohio corrections officials say Ariel Castro who held three women captive in his home for nearly a decade has committed suicide at a state prison facility.
Spokeswoman JoEllen Smith says 53-year-old Castro was found hanging in his cell around 9:20 p.m. Tuesday at the Correctional Reception Center in Orient. Prison medical staff performed CPR before Castro was transported to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The three women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. They escaped May 6, when one of the women broke part of a door and yelled to neighbours for help. Castro was arrested that evening.
Castro was sentenced Aug. 1 to life in prison plus 1,000 years on his guilty plea to 937 counts including kidnapping and rape.
Read more World News
- Unrepentant Nazi killer dies at 92
- NYC commuter train derails, killing 4
- Ukrainians stage huge anti-govt rally
- Speed a factor in deadly celeb car crash
- Passenger train derails near NY
- Tens of thousands march in Kiev
- The world's ugliest dog dies
- Alaska plane crash tragedy
- A step toward to democracy after coup
- Gov't supporters and foes clash violently
- Plane crash in Namibia, kills all on board
- US man kills himself while awaiting trial
(Click for RSS instructions.)