Dad sells comic to help pay for wedding
Sep 1, 2013 / 7:39 pm
A Cleveland Heights dad was getting worried about the costs of his eldest daughter's upcoming wedding. Then, Spider-Man to the rescue!
The Plain Dealer of Cleveland reports that Richard Schaen remembered that he had stored away his comic books decades ago. He dug out the box, and the first comic he saw was "Amazing Spider-Man" No. 1, published in 1963. The 69-year-old man says the 12-cent comic sold for $7,900 through an auction company, netting him about $7,000.
His copy was graded as 6.5 on a scale of 10. A mint-condition copy would have sold for much more. But he's happy, and says the sale will help cover the catering costs for daughter Jane's reception.
Read more World News
- Israeli president willing to meet Iran's
- Presidents & royalty at Mandela service
- Prince Harry's Antarctic race called off
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Thailand crisis deepens
- Progress seen since Typhoon Haiyan
- South Africans hold day of prayer
- Millions of residents hit by storm
- Obama to attend Mandela memorial
- 72nd anniversary of Pearl Harbor
- Egypt court reduces heavy sentences
- Attacks kill 15 in Iraq
(Click for RSS instructions.)