US claims 1,429 killed in chemical attack
Aug 30, 2013 / 10:15 am
Secretary of State John Kerry says the U.S. knows, based on intelligence, that the Syrian regime carefully prepared for days to launch a chemical weapons attack.
He says 1,429 people were killed in the attack, including at least 426 children
Kerry says Syrian regime personnel were at the site of the attack for three days beforehand, making preparations. He says regime elements were told to prepare by putting on gas masks.
Kerry says the U.S. also knows where the rockets were launched from. He says the rockets came from regime-controlled areas.
The U.S. is releasing a public report on intelligence gathered about last week's deadly attack.
President Barack Obama is preparing for a possible military strike in response.
Read more World News
- Mandela's state funeral set for Dec. 15
- Hundreds to celebrate pot anniversary
- Woman live-tweets husband's death
- Shanghai pollution at dangerous levels
- Whale rescuers feeling more optimistic
- Driving 50-ton battle tank - not easy
- Russian diplomats accused of fraud
- White House changes story
- Three years in prison for ivory smuggler
- Nelson Mandela, prisoner and president
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Powerful storm slams Europe
(Click for RSS instructions.)