Oscar Pistorius granted bail
Feb 22, 2013 / 6:41 am
Olympian Oscar Pistorius has been granted bail while he awaits trial in the shooting death of his girlfriend.
A South African magistrate laid out the reasons for his decision for nearly two hours today, saying there was no reason to believe the double-amputee athlete is a flight risk.
Pistorius is accused in the shooting death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day.
He is charged with one count of premediated murder but has claimed the shooting was accidental because he thought there was a dangerous intruder inside his home.
Pistorius has been held at a police station in Pretoria since last week, but suspects who are denied bail are typically held in a prison.
Read more World News
- N. Korea: American sentenced to 15 yrs.
- US general's sexual misconduct charges
- Man killed dribbling soccer ball to Brazil
- Doctor visits left Jackson 'loopy'
- Google CEO explains health issues
- Prince tours storm ravaged Jersey shore
- Businessman hits jackpot in casino suit
- Tunnel collapses at mine, 33 trapped
- Chocolate bullets letter gets response
- Associated Press subpoenaed
- Mother's Day shooting suspect ID'd
- Hadfield and crew are back on earth
(Click for RSS instructions.)