Gun battle in Sin City leaves 3 dead
Feb 21, 2013 / 7:34 am
A deadly gunfight between a Maserati and an SUV on the Las Vegas Strip caused a fiery crash involving a taxi that burst into flames. Three people died and at least three were injured early Thursday, police said.
The Maserati driver, the taxi driver and a passenger in the cab were killed. The SUV got away.
In all, five vehicles were involved in the dramatic pre-dawn crash at a wide intersection surrounded by some of the most famous casinos on the Strip, including the Bellagio, Caesars Palace and the Paris.
It started with people in the Maserati and the SUV exchanging gunfire before the high-end sports car hit the taxi, said Sgt. John Sheahan. Three other vehicles were involved in the wreck, but the SUV was gone when police arrived, Sheahan said.
At least three people were hospitalized, including a passenger from the Maserati.
More people may be hurt, Sheahan said.
The gun battle was the latest in a series of violent actions on the tourist corridor since the beginning of the year. Two people were critically wounded in a shooting at a parking garage Feb. 6, and a tourist was stabbed in an elevator at The Hotel at Mandalay Bay on Feb. 16.
Read more World News
- Stolen cobalt-60 finally removed by robot
- Bride shared little emotion over his death
- Police clash with protesters in Ukraine
- Another theft from Walker's crash
- First national marketplace for legal pot
- Convicted killer executed in Oklahoma
- Backcountry skier survives avalanche
- World leaders pay tribute to Mandela
- Sound sleeper locked inside empty plane
- Guilty plea in ricin-laced letters sent
- World leaders gather in South Africa
- NY reporters sue Homeland Security
(Click for RSS instructions.)