Pistorius GF's mom: Why did he do this?
Feb 18, 2013 / 11:24 am
The family of Oscar Pistorius' slain girlfriend wants answers, her mother told a Johannesburg newspaper, as South Africans braced to hear why prosecutors believe a national hero murdered the model who was shot multiple times.
June Steenkamp, Reeva Steenkamp's mother, told The Times in a front page interview published Monday: "Why? Why my little girl? Why did this happen? Why did he do this?"
"Just like that she is gone," the newspaper quoted her as saying in what it described as an emotional telephone interview. "In the blink of an eye and a single breath, the most beautiful person who ever lived is no longer here."
Pistorius, who remains in custody in a red-brick, one-story police station in Pretoria, is set to return to court Tuesday for the start of his bail hearing. It will be the first opportunity for the prosecution to describe evidence police gathered against the 26-year-old double-amputee runner and the reasons why he was charged with murder. Prosecutors allege the killing was premeditated.
Read more World News
- Penn urges US to pressure Bolivia
- Missing in Mexico
- United Airlines resumes 787 flights
- Jackson concerts cost AEG $24M
- Oklahoma school takes direct hit
- James Caan revisits the '70s at Cannes
- Military sex abuse victims seek care
- Did North Korea launch missiles?
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma
- Wave of attacks in Iraq, kill at least 70
- John Lennon guitar sells for $408,000
- Arrests made in Las Vegas iPad killing
(Click for RSS instructions.)