Armed movie goer pleads guilty
Feb 11, 2013 / 11:53 am
An Ohio man arrested with a loaded gun, ammunition and knives at a showing of the latest Batman movie pleaded guilty to two weapons counts on Monday but still faces trial on a third count.
Scott A. Smith, 38, entered the pleas in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court to two counts of carrying a concealed weapon. He still faces trial Wednesday on a charge of having a weapon under disability, which prosecutors say is drug dependency.
Smith was arrested at an Aug. 4 showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" in Westlake, Ohio. His attorney said earlier that Smith had the weapons for protection in case someone tried to copy the Colorado theatre shooting that left 12 dead three weeks earlier.
John Hildebrand, who represents Smith, said Monday that his client pleaded guilty to the two counts in light of evidence that Smith had brought weapons to the theatre. There was no plea deal, Hildebrand said.
Read more World News
- Another theft from Walker's crash
- First national marketplace for legal pot
- Convicted killer executed in Oklahoma
- Backcountry skier survives avalanche
- World leaders pay tribute to Mandela
- Sound sleeper locked inside empty plane
- Guilty plea in ricin-laced letters sent
- NY reporters sue Homeland Security
- World leaders gather in South Africa
- Justin Bieber arrives in Philippines
- Congress renews undetectable gun ban
- Cuddling biz closed amid brothel claims
(Click for RSS instructions.)