3 killed, 10 wounded near Syrian boarder
Feb 1, 2013 / 7:01 am
A Lebanese police official says at least three people have been killed and 10 others wounded in clashes between the army and gunmen in a northeastern town near the border with Syria.
The official says those killed include several Lebanese army soldiers who were ambushed by the gunmen in the town of Arsal. He declined to give further details and spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations.
A senior Lebanese army officer says clashes were under way with gunmen in the area.
Local TV stations say the troops were ambushed Friday after they detained a fugitive in the area.
Residents of Arsal, a Sunni Muslim town, are known to be sympathetic to the Syrian opposition, and arms smuggling into Syria is widespread in the area.
Read more World News
- 24 dead in new wave of Iraq attacks
- Cat vies for mayor of Mexican city
- N Korea proposes nuclear talks with US
- Rowhani wins Iran election
- A parade fit for a Queen
- Hezbollah vows to keep fighting in Syria
- Woman mauled by chimp can't sue state
- Early results in Iran presidential election
- Newtown, Conn: six months later
- Boston woman pays $560K to park
- 2 found dead from Colo. wildfire
- Chemical plant explosion kills 1, 70 hurt
(Click for RSS instructions.)