3 killed, 10 wounded near Syrian boarder
Feb 1, 2013 / 7:01 am
A Lebanese police official says at least three people have been killed and 10 others wounded in clashes between the army and gunmen in a northeastern town near the border with Syria.
The official says those killed include several Lebanese army soldiers who were ambushed by the gunmen in the town of Arsal. He declined to give further details and spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations.
A senior Lebanese army officer says clashes were under way with gunmen in the area.
Local TV stations say the troops were ambushed Friday after they detained a fugitive in the area.
Residents of Arsal, a Sunni Muslim town, are known to be sympathetic to the Syrian opposition, and arms smuggling into Syria is widespread in the area.
Read more World News
- Prince Harry's Antarctic race called off
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Thailand crisis deepens
- Progress seen since Typhoon Haiyan
- South Africans hold day of prayer
- Millions of residents hit by storm
- Obama to attend Mandela memorial
- 72nd anniversary of Pearl Harbor
- Egypt court reduces heavy sentences
- Attacks kill 15 in Iraq
- Mandela's state funeral set for Dec. 15
- Hundreds to celebrate pot anniversary
(Click for RSS instructions.)