Bollywood star's latest role, in court
Feb 1, 2013 / 1:15 am
An attorney says Indian movie star Salman Khan will be tried for homicide for his alleged involvement in a fatal road accident more than 10 years ago. If convicted he faces up to 10 years in jail.
Deepesh Mehta, Khan's lawyer, says a magistrate on Thursday accepted an appeal by state government prosecutors that he should be charged with homicide instead of causing death by negligence, which carries a maximum of two years in jail.
One man was killed and another three were injured when Khan allegedly rammed his car into a group of homeless people sleeping on a Bombay sidewalk in September 2002.
Khan's trial begins March 11. Indian courts are notorious for delays and a trial can take years to complete.
Read more World News
- Mom smashes into car to save child
- Alaska volcano continues to erupt
- SUV crashes into McDonald's play area
- Bangladesh cyclone fades away
- 12 tornadoes wallop North Texas
- Deadly tornado hits Texas
- Plane crashes at Nepal airstrip
- Car bomb in Afghan capital kills 15
- Cyclone weakens as it hits Bangladesh
- Deer crashes through bus windshield
- Cyclone a day away from destruction
- Cleveland kidnapper to plead not guilty
(Click for RSS instructions.)