Open files on priests' sexual abuses
Jan 31, 2013 / 7:31 pm
Los Angeles Archbishop Jose Gomez has relieved retired Cardinal Roger Mahony of his remaining duties, on the same night the church released thousands of pages of personnel files of priests accused of sexual abuse.
Gomez released a statement Thursday night saying that he has told Mahony he will no longer have any administrative or public duties.
Gomez also says Thomas Curry, who served as a key aide to Mahony in dealing with priests accused of molestation, has stepped down from his current job as auxiliary bishop for the archdiocese's Santa Barbara region.
Both men issued public apologies earlier this month.
Read more World News
- Art stolen from London gallery
- Man signing at Mandela memorial a fake
- Crane collapses on supermarket, 1 dead
- Stolen cobalt-60 finally removed by robot
- Bride shared little emotion over his death
- Police clash with protesters in Ukraine
- Another theft from Walker's crash
- First national marketplace for legal pot
- Convicted killer executed in Oklahoma
- Backcountry skier survives avalanche
- World leaders pay tribute to Mandela
- Sound sleeper locked inside empty plane
(Click for RSS instructions.)