Open files on priests' sexual abuses
Jan 31, 2013 / 7:31 pm
Los Angeles Archbishop Jose Gomez has relieved retired Cardinal Roger Mahony of his remaining duties, on the same night the church released thousands of pages of personnel files of priests accused of sexual abuse.
Gomez released a statement Thursday night saying that he has told Mahony he will no longer have any administrative or public duties.
Gomez also says Thomas Curry, who served as a key aide to Mahony in dealing with priests accused of molestation, has stepped down from his current job as auxiliary bishop for the archdiocese's Santa Barbara region.
Both men issued public apologies earlier this month.
Read more World News
- Penn urges US to pressure Bolivia
- Missing in Mexico
- United Airlines resumes 787 flights
- Jackson concerts cost AEG $24M
- Oklahoma school takes direct hit
- James Caan revisits the '70s at Cannes
- Military sex abuse victims seek care
- Did North Korea launch missiles?
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma
- Wave of attacks in Iraq, kill at least 70
- John Lennon guitar sells for $408,000
- Arrests made in Las Vegas iPad killing
(Click for RSS instructions.)