Tightrope walker crosses Florida freeway
Jan 29, 2013 / 8:26 am
Famed tightrope walker Nik Wallenda walked on a wire 200 feet (61 metres) over U.S. 41 in Sarasota, Fla., without a safety harness.
The circus performer and six-time Guinness World Record holder performed the stunt earlier this morning.
The Sarasota City Commission is allowing him to do the stunt without a tether.
Wallenda wore a tether for the first time last summer when he walked across Niagara Falls because the television network that was paying for the performance insisted on it.
Wallenda is scheduled to start his Sarasota Skywalk at Bayfront Park at 10:30 a.m. EST, weather permitting.
The wire ends at the Marina Tower Condominium, and part of U.S. 41 will be shut during the walk.
Read more World News
- Kim Jong Un removes uncle from power
- US and Pakistan - the special meeting
- 100,000 march in Bangkok
- Storm blankets NFL fields with snow
- Uncle ousted for 'anti-state' acts
- Thousands attend Paul Walker memorial
- Dead whales found-part of stranded pod
- Israeli president willing to meet Iran's
- Presidents & royalty at Mandela service
- Prince Harry's Antarctic race called off
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Thailand crisis deepens
(Click for RSS instructions.)