Tightrope walker crosses Florida freeway
Jan 29, 2013 / 8:26 am
Famed tightrope walker Nik Wallenda walked on a wire 200 feet (61 metres) over U.S. 41 in Sarasota, Fla., without a safety harness.
The circus performer and six-time Guinness World Record holder performed the stunt earlier this morning.
The Sarasota City Commission is allowing him to do the stunt without a tether.
Wallenda wore a tether for the first time last summer when he walked across Niagara Falls because the television network that was paying for the performance insisted on it.
Wallenda is scheduled to start his Sarasota Skywalk at Bayfront Park at 10:30 a.m. EST, weather permitting.
The wire ends at the Marina Tower Condominium, and part of U.S. 41 will be shut during the walk.
Read more World News
- John Lennon guitar sells for $408,000
- Arrests made in Las Vegas iPad killing
- Mice and lizards return from space
- Plane crashes at airshow in Turkey
- One winning ticket for $590M Powerball
- Pope decries banks over people
- French gay marriage law signed
- Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Powerball jackpot $600M and rising
- Plane catches fire at Moscow airport
- First Saudi woman scales Mount Everest
- North Korea fires 3 short-range missiles
(Click for RSS instructions.)