Canadian kills 2 people in court
Jan 21, 2013 / 7:44 pm
Police say a Canadian man opened fire in a Philippine courtroom, killing two people and wounding a prosecutor before he was shot and wounded by officers.
Police said the suspect appeared in a Cebu court Tuesday to face malicious mischief charges when he pulled out a gun and shot a prosecutor, a lawyer and another person.
Regional police director Marcelo Garbo said the gunman was wounded by responding police after ignoring orders to surrender and trying to fire at them.
He and the prosecutor were taken to a hospital.
The suspect was identified as John Pope, a resident of central Cebu city. Garbo said police were investigating his background.
The shooting came after several recent killings in the country that prompted calls for a tighter gun control.
Read more World News
- Three years in prison for ivory smuggler
- Nelson Mandela, prisoner and president
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Powerful storm slams Europe
- Suicide bombing in Yemen kills 18
- Wildlife workers try to rescue whales
- 1 killed as gales hit Scotland
- Two dead in shooting near N.C. school
- School shooting 911 calls released
- Saying Grace costs $46 million
- Biden in Beijing amidst tension
- Train engineer sleepy at the controls
(Click for RSS instructions.)