Children take lion cub to school
Nov 29, 2012 / 7:24 am
Most primary school classes get a goldfish to keep, a hamster or a turtle if they're lucky, but children from one village in southern Russia got to play with a lion cub.
Children in the Rostov region found the 5-month old cub on the steppe Wednesday and brought it to their teacher, who kept it in the school gym, police said Thursday.
While waiting for police, children petted and played with the cub, named Barsik. One boy even tried to ride it like a horse while it mewled and swiped at the air.
The cub had escaped from a car on the way to a zoo in Dagestan in the North Caucasus. It has now been removed from the school and placed in a local zoo.
Read more World News
- Three years in prison for ivory smuggler
- Nelson Mandela, prisoner and president
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Powerful storm slams Europe
- Suicide bombing in Yemen kills 18
- Wildlife workers try to rescue whales
- 1 killed as gales hit Scotland
- Two dead in shooting near N.C. school
- School shooting 911 calls released
- Saying Grace costs $46 million
- Biden in Beijing amidst tension
- Train engineer sleepy at the controls
(Click for RSS instructions.)