Woman, with a child, drives on runway
Nov 16, 2012 / 6:06 am
Police say a woman driving with a small child in her car crashed through a gate at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport and drove on the runway.
Sgt. Trent Crump says the woman rammed an airport gate around 10 p.m. Thursday and started crossing the runway. Police officers forced the car to stop after a few minutes and detained the driver.
Crump says the driver and the child were not injured. He says that the woman may have been impaired but did not elaborate.
Police say they're not aware of any flights being endangered, but airport operations were stopped for about 15 minutes because of the incident.
Sky Harbor communications departments declined to release any details, saying only that all operations returned to normal shortly after a "security incident."
Police also declined to release any more information.
Read more World News
- Earthquake strikes south of Mexico City
- 24 dead in new wave of Iraq attacks
- Cat vies for mayor of Mexican city
- N Korea proposes nuclear talks with US
- Rowhani wins Iran election
- A parade fit for a Queen
- Hezbollah vows to keep fighting in Syria
- Woman mauled by chimp can't sue state
- Early results in Iran presidential election
- Newtown, Conn: six months later
- Boston woman pays $560K to park
- 2 found dead from Colo. wildfire
(Click for RSS instructions.)