Barack Obama wins
Nov 6, 2012 / 8:28 pm
Barack Obama has been re-elected as president of the United States, narrowly edging Republican challenger Mitt Romney in a hard-fought battle for the White House.
Results from the critical battleground states, especially Florida and Virginia, were still unsettled by mid-evening.
But Obama took Ohio, New Hampshire, Wisconsin and Iowa, four of the seven battlegrounds that were expected to determine the outcome of the election.
Obama has taken to Twitter to thank his supporters, saying "we're all in this together. That's how we campaigned."
Romney was in Massachusetts after a long and gruelling bid for the presidency.
Read more World News
- China launches rover to survey moon
- Unrepentant Nazi killer dies at 92
- NYC commuter train derails, killing 4
- Ukrainians stage huge anti-govt rally
- Speed a factor in deadly celeb car crash
- Passenger train derails near NY
- Tens of thousands march in Kiev
- The world's ugliest dog dies
- Alaska plane crash tragedy
- A step toward to democracy after coup
- Gov't supporters and foes clash violently
- Plane crash in Namibia, kills all on board
(Click for RSS instructions.)