Barack Obama wins
Nov 6, 2012 / 8:28 pm
Barack Obama has been re-elected as president of the United States, narrowly edging Republican challenger Mitt Romney in a hard-fought battle for the White House.
Results from the critical battleground states, especially Florida and Virginia, were still unsettled by mid-evening.
But Obama took Ohio, New Hampshire, Wisconsin and Iowa, four of the seven battlegrounds that were expected to determine the outcome of the election.
Obama has taken to Twitter to thank his supporters, saying "we're all in this together. That's how we campaigned."
Romney was in Massachusetts after a long and gruelling bid for the presidency.
Read more World News
- Progress seen since Typhoon Haiyan
- South Africans hold day of prayer
- Millions of residents hit by storm
- Obama to attend Mandela memorial
- 72nd anniversary of Pearl Harbor
- Egypt court reduces heavy sentences
- Attacks kill 15 in Iraq
- Mandela's state funeral set for Dec. 15
- Hundreds to celebrate pot anniversary
- Woman live-tweets husband's death
- Shanghai pollution at dangerous levels
- Whale rescuers feeling more optimistic
(Click for RSS instructions.)