Barack Obama wins
Nov 6, 2012 / 8:28 pm
Barack Obama has been re-elected as president of the United States, narrowly edging Republican challenger Mitt Romney in a hard-fought battle for the White House.
Results from the critical battleground states, especially Florida and Virginia, were still unsettled by mid-evening.
But Obama took Ohio, New Hampshire, Wisconsin and Iowa, four of the seven battlegrounds that were expected to determine the outcome of the election.
Obama has taken to Twitter to thank his supporters, saying "we're all in this together. That's how we campaigned."
Romney was in Massachusetts after a long and gruelling bid for the presidency.
Read more World News
- Jackson concerts cost AEG $24M
- Oklahoma school takes direct hit
- James Caan revisits the '70s at Cannes
- Military sex abuse victims seek care
- Did North Korea launch missiles?
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma
- Wave of attacks in Iraq, kill at least 70
- John Lennon guitar sells for $408,000
- Arrests made in Las Vegas iPad killing
- Mice and lizards return from space
- Plane crashes at airshow in Turkey
- One winning ticket for $590M Powerball
(Click for RSS instructions.)