Child dies after fall into zoo exhibt
Nov 4, 2012 / 11:54 am
Officials say a young child died after falling into an exhibit at the Pittsburgh zoo and being mauled by African painted dogs.
Tracy Gray of the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium said the accident happened at about 11:45 a.m. Sunday. It's not clear whether the child died from the fall or the attack.
Zoo president and CEO Barbara Baker says the child, who was about 3 years old, fell about 14 feet into the exhibit. She says there were 11 dogs in the enclosure and some attacked the child.
The zoo says that the animals are about as big as medium-sized domestic dogs, two to 2 1/2 feet high and 37 to 80 pounds. They are considered endangered.
Read more World News
- US general's sexual misconduct charges
- Man killed dribbling soccer ball to Brazil
- Doctor visits left Jackson 'loopy'
- Google CEO explains health issues
- Prince tours storm ravaged Jersey shore
- Businessman hits jackpot in casino suit
- Tunnel collapses at mine, 33 trapped
- Chocolate bullets letter gets response
- Associated Press subpoenaed
- Mother's Day shooting suspect ID'd
- Hadfield and crew are back on earth
- Explosions, fire reported at gas plant
(Click for RSS instructions.)