Giants one win away from title
Oct 27, 2012 / 9:23 pm
Ryan Vogelsong escaped trouble three times and Gregor Blanco hit a go-ahead triple to lead San Francisco over the Detroit Tigers 2-0 on Saturday night and move the Giants into a 3-0 World Series lead.
One win from their second title in three seasons, the Giants became the first team to pitch consecutive shutouts in the Series since Baltimore's staff ended 1966 with three straight against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Vogelsong became only the third pitcher to make four straight starts in a single post-season in which he allowed no more than one run, giving up five hits in 5 2-3 innings with four walks and three strikeouts.
He induced double-play grounders to escape trouble in the first and third innings, then got Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera to pop out with the bases loaded and two outs in the sixth.
Read more World News
- Stockholm riots continue
- UK attack could be terrorists
- Captors release 7
- FBI kill man in Orlando
- Trial set for Costa Concordia captain
- Climbers aged 80 & 81 race up Everest
- Search for tornado survivors nears end
- Race on to find tornado survivors
- Suicide in Notre Dame Cathedral
- 14 Afghan police killed in day of attacks
- Tornado death toll now at 24
- Did cheese fight lead to poisoning?
(Click for RSS instructions.)