Car bomb rips through news agency
Oct 19, 2012 / 6:22 am
Lebanon's state-run news agency says a massive blast in east Beirut was caused by a car bomb and that there are casualties.
An Associated Press reporter at the scene saw bloodied people being helped into ambulances and heavy damage to what appeared to be residential buildings in the mostly Christian Achrafieh neighbourhood.
The motive behind Friday's blast was not immediately clear.
Lebanon has seen a rise in clashes and tensions in recent months stemming from the civil war in neighbouring Syria.
Read more World News
- Wave of attacks in Iraq, kill at least 70
- John Lennon guitar sells for $408,000
- Arrests made in Las Vegas iPad killing
- Mice and lizards return from space
- Plane crashes at airshow in Turkey
- One winning ticket for $590M Powerball
- French gay marriage law signed
- Pope decries banks over people
- Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Powerball jackpot $600M and rising
- Plane catches fire at Moscow airport
- First Saudi woman scales Mount Everest
(Click for RSS instructions.)