Huge eye ball rolls up on beach
Oct 12, 2012 / 9:16 am
Word that a giant eyeball washed up on a Florida beach has created a buzz on the Internet and in the marine biology community.
An assistant biology professor at Florida International University in Miami on Friday said the blue eyeball may have come from a deep sea squid or a large swordfish.
Heather Bracken-Grissom says she started discussing the eyeball with her colleagues as soon as they saw the pictures on the Internet.
A beach-goer found it Wednesday in Pompano Beach.
Bracken-Grissom says the lens and pupil are similar to the shape of a deep sea squid's eye. She notes that the squid's eyes can be as large as soccer balls and they easily dislodge.
Florida wildlife officials have sent it to a research facility in St. Petersburg for testing.
Read more World News
- First Saudi woman scales Mount Everest
- North Korea fires 3 short-range missiles
- 60 injured as trains collide
- Bunga bunga girls dressed as sexy nuns
- Car bomb kills 9, wounds 70
- Who knocked up the anteater?
- Mom smashes into car to save child
- Alaska volcano continues to erupt
- SUV crashes into McDonald's play area
- Bangladesh cyclone fades away
- 12 tornadoes wallop North Texas
- Deadly tornado hits Texas
(Click for RSS instructions.)