Finns still fastest at wife-carrying
Oct 7, 2012 / 3:00 pm
A Finnish couple has added to their victories by taking first place in the North American Wife Carrying Championship at Maine's Sunday River ski resort.
Taisto Miettinen and Kristina Haapanen travelled from Helsinki, Finland, where they won the World Wife Carrying Championship, for Saturday's contest.
The Sun Journal reports that the couple finished with a time of 52.58 seconds on a course that includes hurdles, sand traps and a water hole.
The winners receive the woman's weight in beer and five times her weight in cash.
For Miettinen and Haapanen, that meant a check for $530. They shared their beer winnings with the second- and third- place finishers, Jesse Wall and Christine Arsenault of South Paris and David and Lacey Castro of Lewiston.
Read more World News
- Pope decries banks over people
- French gay marriage law signed
- Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Powerball jackpot $600M and rising
- Plane catches fire at Moscow airport
- First Saudi woman scales Mount Everest
- North Korea fires 3 short-range missiles
- 60 injured as trains collide
- Bunga bunga girls dressed as sexy nuns
- Car bomb kills 9, wounds 70
- Who knocked up the anteater?
- Mom smashes into car to save child
(Click for RSS instructions.)