Big Bird served up as turkey at debate
Oct 4, 2012 / 12:17 pm
Big Bird has never been so hot.
"Saturday Night Live," Jimmy Fallon, Piers Morgan, the "Today" show and "Good Morning America" have all asked for appearances from the giant yellow Muppet after he was unexpectedly thrust into the presidential campaign by Republican challenger Mitt Romney on Wednesday. Sesame Workshop says Big Bird is declining all appearances.
During the debate with President Barack Obama, Romney called for cutting federal funding to PBS, even though he said "I love Big Bird." It renewed a long-running debate over subsidies to public broadcasting.
PBS chief Paula Kerger says she "just about fell off the sofa" when the issue suddenly came up. She said that if the subsidy goes, so will some PBS stations.
Read more World News
- Penn urges US to pressure Bolivia
- Missing in Mexico
- United Airlines resumes 787 flights
- Jackson concerts cost AEG $24M
- Oklahoma school takes direct hit
- James Caan revisits the '70s at Cannes
- Military sex abuse victims seek care
- Did North Korea launch missiles?
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma
- Wave of attacks in Iraq, kill at least 70
- John Lennon guitar sells for $408,000
- Arrests made in Las Vegas iPad killing
(Click for RSS instructions.)