Deadly bootleg booze
Sep 11, 2012 / 7:08 am
Czech officials say at least three more people have died after drinking bootleg alcohol tainted with toxic methanol, bringing the death toll to six.
Police spokeswoman Miluse Zajicova says a 45-year-old man died in a hospital in the eastern town of Prerov, and a 21-year-old woman was found dead in nearby Osek nad Becvou.
Petra Pekarova, spokeswoman for Prague's General University Hospital, said Tuesday that a 38-year-old man had died there of methanol poisoning.
Authorities announced Monday that three deaths in the country's east had been linked to the cheap, illicit liquor. About two dozen other people have been hospitalized, some in critical condition.
Authorities have launched a nationwide check of restaurants, bars, liquor stores and street markets in an effort to discover the origin of the bootleg booze.
Read more World News
- Bunga bunga girls dressed as sexy nuns
- Car bomb kills 9, wounds 70
- Who knocked up the anteater?
- Mom smashes into car to save child
- Alaska volcano continues to erupt
- SUV crashes into McDonald's play area
- Bangladesh cyclone fades away
- 12 tornadoes wallop North Texas
- Deadly tornado hits Texas
- Plane crashes at Nepal airstrip
- Car bomb in Afghan capital kills 15
- Cyclone weakens as it hits Bangladesh
(Click for RSS instructions.)