Tropical storm Fabio strengthening
Jul 13, 2012 / 5:46 am
Emilia has weakened to a tropical storm in the Pacific while Tropical Storm Fabio is intensifying.
Emilia had been a hurricane, but its maximum sustained winds have decreased to near 70 mph (110 kph) early Friday with additional weakening expected. The U.S. National Hurricane Center says Emilia could weaken to a tropical depression Saturday.
Emilia is centred about 1,100 miles (1,770 kilometres) west-southwest of the southern tip of Mexico's Baja California and is moving west near 14 mph (22 kph).
Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Fabio's maximum sustained winds have increased to near 65 mph (100 kph). Additional strengthening is forecast and the storm could become a hurricane by Saturday.
Fabio is centred about 485 miles (775 kilometres) southwest of Manzanillo, Mexico, and is moving west-northwest near 9 mph (15 kph).
Read more World News
- Plane crashes at Nepal airstrip
- Car bomb in Afghan capital kills 15
- Cyclone weakens as it hits Bangladesh
- Deer crashes through bus windshield
- Cyclone a day away from destruction
- Cleveland kidnapper to plead not guilty
- OJ Simpson set to tell his story in court
- N. Korea: American sentenced to 15 yrs.
- US general's sexual misconduct charges
- Man killed dribbling soccer ball to Brazil
- Doctor visits left Jackson 'loopy'
- Google CEO explains health issues
(Click for RSS instructions.)