The female hot dog eating champ is...
Jul 4, 2012 / 10:19 am
The Black Widow of competitive eating wins again.
Sonya Thomas, of Alexandria, Va., beat her own record by gobbling down 45 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes to win the women's competition at the annual Coney Island contest.
The petite Thomas, who goes by "Black Widow," wins $10,000. The previous record was 41 dogs and buns in 10 minutes.
Juliet Lee, of Germantown, Md., took second place with 33 and claims $5,000. Lee also won second last year.
The Nathan's Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog Eating Contest has been a city tradition for 97 years.
Joey Chestnut is vying for his sixth straight title in the men's competition.
Read more World News
- Arrests made in Las Vegas iPad killing
- Mice and lizards return from space
- Plane crashes at airshow in Turkey
- One winning ticket for $590M Powerball
- Pope decries banks over people
- French gay marriage law signed
- Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Powerball jackpot $600M and rising
- Plane catches fire at Moscow airport
- First Saudi woman scales Mount Everest
- North Korea fires 3 short-range missiles
- 60 injured as trains collide
(Click for RSS instructions.)