Gunman kills self, 4 others in Germany
Jul 4, 2012 / 5:40 am
Police commandos stormed an apartment in southern Germany on Wednesday after a hostage standoff and found five bodies, including that of the gunman, a spokesman said.
The team was sent in after police smelled smoke from the top-floor apartment in Karlsruhe at around lunchtime following a standoff that began at 9 a.m., police spokesman Juergen Scheufer said.
Inside they found the bodies of the suspect, as well as those of the court bailiff who had sought to evict the man, the locksmith who had accompanied him, the woman who was supposed to take over the apartment and another person, he said.
The man opened fire when the bailiff and others went to his apartment to eject him for failing to pay his rent. After the shots were fired Police blocked off the entire area in the Nordstadt section of the city and called in the police commando teams.
It was not clear whether they had ever managed to make any contact with the gunman before the hostages were killed.
Read more World News
- Plane crashes at Nepal airstrip
- Car bomb in Afghan capital kills 15
- Cyclone weakens as it hits Bangladesh
- Deer crashes through bus windshield
- Cyclone a day away from destruction
- Cleveland kidnapper to plead not guilty
- OJ Simpson set to tell his story in court
- N. Korea: American sentenced to 15 yrs.
- US general's sexual misconduct charges
- Man killed dribbling soccer ball to Brazil
- Doctor visits left Jackson 'loopy'
- Google CEO explains health issues
(Click for RSS instructions.)