Ugly 'Mugly' is the World's Ugliest Dog
Jun 23, 2012 / 8:07 am
Maybe the name helped. A rescue dog from the United Kingdom named Mugly has won the annual World's Ugliest Dog contest.
The 8-year-old Chinese crested won $1,000 and a year's worth of dog cookies by beating out 28 other ugly dogs from around the world.
"I couldn't speak when they announced Mugly's name," said Bev Nicholson, the dog's owner. "I didn't know which way to look. I was shaking as much as the dog."
Nicholson said Mugly also was named Britain's ugliest dog in 2005.
Organizers at the California event say the dogs are judged on their "natural ugliness in both pedigree and mutt classes."
Last year's winner, Yoda, was a Chinese crested and Chihuahua mix.
Read more World News
- A parade fit for a Queen
- Hezbollah vows to keep fighting in Syria
- Woman mauled by chimp can't sue state
- Early results in Iran presidential election
- Newtown, Conn: six months later
- Boston woman pays $560K to park
- 2 found dead from Colo. wildfire
- Chemical plant explosion kills 1, 70 hurt
- Nazi SS commander found in Minnesota
- Syria's Assad used chemical weapons
- Colorado wildfire destroys 360 homes
- 93,000 confirmed killed in Syrian conflict
(Click for RSS instructions.)