French gunman captured
Jun 20, 2012 / 9:08 am
A French police official says that a gunman who had taken four people hostage in a bank in Toulouse has been captured, and the hostages released.
Regional police official Frederic Tamisier says the hostage-taker was lightly injured in the operation to capture him. The hostages were unharmed, he said.
The announcement came soon after a series of gunshots were heard from the area of the bank.
Authorities say the gunman had psychiatric problems in the past and claimed he was acting for religious reasons. French media reports said he claimed allegiance to al-Qaida.
Read more World News
- Arrests made in Las Vegas iPad killing
- Mice and lizards return from space
- Plane crashes at airshow in Turkey
- One winning ticket for $590M Powerball
- Pope decries banks over people
- French gay marriage law signed
- Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Powerball jackpot $600M and rising
- Plane catches fire at Moscow airport
- First Saudi woman scales Mount Everest
- North Korea fires 3 short-range missiles
- 60 injured as trains collide
(Click for RSS instructions.)