Michigan hosts Arab International Fair
Jun 17, 2012 / 2:01 pm
The 2012 Arab International Festival has drawn thousands of visitors to the Detroit suburb of Dearborn, as well as attracting some anti-Muslim protesters.
The festival opened Friday and ends Sunday in Dearborn, a community with large Arab-American and Muslim populations. About 300,000 people in southeastern Michigan have roots in the Arab world.
The festival includes concerts by more than a dozen Arab musicians and a range of Middle Eastern foods and products.
A number of Christian missionaries have picketed the festival. One brought a pig's head Friday.
One group called the Bible Believers held signs saying "Islam is a religion of blood and murder" and "Muhammad is a ... liar."
The Detroit Free Press says horse-mounted Wayne County sheriff's deputies kept young Arab Americans away from the protesters.
Read more World News
- Tiger gets hairball surgery
- Stockholm riots continue
- UK attack could be terrorists
- Captors release 7
- FBI kill man in Orlando
- Trial set for Costa Concordia captain
- Climbers aged 80 & 81 race up Everest
- Search for tornado survivors nears end
- Race on to find tornado survivors
- Suicide in Notre Dame Cathedral
- 14 Afghan police killed in day of attacks
- Tornado death toll now at 24
(Click for RSS instructions.)