Video shows abducted girls
A new video released by Islamic militant group Boko Haram purportedly shows some of the missing Nigerian schoolgirls who were kidnapped last month.
In the video obtained by AFP news agency on Monday, a number of girls are seen in an undisclosed rural location, wearing full-length veils and reciting prayers in Arabic.
Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau said the girls shown in the video -- estimated to be about 130 -- have been converted to Islam.
A number of the kidnapped Nigerian girls are seen in a rural location, wearing full-length abayas and praying in a new video released on Monday.
“These girls, these girls you occupy yourselves with…we have indeed liberated them. These girls have become Muslims,” Shekau says in the 17-minute video.
Two girls are seen questioned by an unseen man in the clip. “Why have you become a Muslim?” he asks.
“The reason why I became a Muslim is because the path we are on is not the right path,” she answers. “We should enter the right path so that Allah will be happy with us."
The girl says she was converted from Christianity to Islam, and says her name has been changed to Halima.
Families of the abducted girls said most them are Christians.
A second girl is shown in the clip, saying the girls had experienced no harassment “except righteousness,” when asked if they had been ill-treated.
Shekau said the group is offering to swap the schoolgirls for Boko Haram prisoners in Nigeria.
But the authenticity of the video hasn’t been verified, and Richard Downie, deputy director of the Center for Strategic and International Studies Africa program, said Nigerian authorities will have to ask parents of the missing girls to check the identities of the individuals in the video.
“We have to remember that Boko Haram has seized kidnapped girls and children before,” he told CTV News Channel.
“If the authenticity of the video is proved, the fact that these girls are still alive shows that he knows the value that they represent to him, and they do offer the prospect for a negotiation,” he said.
And while the video offers hope that some of the girls have not been sold, Downie says it’s likely that the abductees have been divided into smaller groups, which will make it harder for the government to find the girls.
“(Boko Haram) could also be operating in a very large area, either inside or outside Nigeria,” said Downie.
The group, deemed a terrorist organization by the U.S. in 2013, abducted nearly 300 girls on April 15 from a school in the northeast town of Chibok. Fifty-three girls managed to escape, but 276 remain in captivity.
In a video released last week, the group, whose name means “Western education is sinful,” claimed responsibility for the abduction, and threatened to sell the girls, who they described as “slaves”
Boko Haram has been waging a brutal campaign in Nigeria’s mainly Muslim northern states since 2009, fighting to overthrow the government and establish an Islamic state.
Following the mass abduction, Nigeria’s government was criticized of acting too slowly, and of refusing international help for weeks.
Last week, Canada offered to provide surveillance equipment and technical expertise to help find the missing girls. The United States, Britain, France, China and Israel have also all offered to send specialist teams to the country.
Canada’s New Democratic Party also called for an emergency debate in Parliament scheduled for Monday, to consider a response to the mass kidnappings.
“This is the very definition of an emergency. Hundreds of young innocent lives are at stake, along with the political and social direction of a country and a region. Parliamentarians need an opportunity to discuss an appropriate Canadian response to this crisis,” NDP MP Paul Dewar said last week.
Meanwhile, concerned citizens around the world have been using social media to keep Boko Haram and missing girls in the spotlight, under the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more World News
- Hwy. 33 crashCentral Okanagan - 10:25 am
- Property gets paint-balledPenticton / S. Okanagan - 10:22 am
- Thieves on the prowlPenticton / S. Okanagan - 10:29 am
- Flight 17 a possible war crimeWorld - 10:47 am
World Health Organization
World Trade Organization