Sunken ferry owner detained
South Korean prosecutors say they have detained the head of the company that owns the ferry that sank last month over an allegation of cargo overloading.
Senior prosecutor Yang Jung-jin says that Kim Han-sik, president of Chonghaejin Marine Co. Ltd, was allegedly aware that the ferry Sewol exceeded its cargo limit but didn't do anything before it started it trip. It sank on April 16.
Yang says prosecutors are investigating Kim's actions to see if they will formally arrest him.
The sinking left more than 300 people dead or missing.
All 15 surviving crew members involved in the ferry's navigation have been arrested, accused of negligence and failing to protect passengers. Four other Chonghaejin employees, who handled cargo on the ship, have also been arrested.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more World News
- Train collides with logging truckBC - 1:45 pm
- Province provides cheaper beerBC - 12:29 pm
- Rockets going into hockey hallSports - 12:40 pm
- Man killed by horned cowVernon / N. Okanagan
World Health Organization
World Trade Organization