Families flee as Pakistani airstrikes kill 25
Hundreds of families have fled Pakistani tribal areas near the Afghan border where the air force has been targeting Taliban insurgents and their hideouts for over a week, officials said Tuesday.
Military and intelligence officials said that jets and helicopter gunships killed nearly 25 insurgents in the latest strikes on Tuesday.
There is no way to confirm the claim independently. The lawless region is off limits to journalists. The officials spoke anonymously as they were not authorized to talk to media.
Most of the fleeing families are headed from North Waziristan to neighbouring Bannu city, said Lutfur Rehman, an officer with the provincial disaster management authority. Some of the families are heading to live with their relatives, he said.
Others, like 65-year-old Janan Wazir and his 12 relatives, say they have no idea where to take stay. "We really don't know where we are going," he told The Associated Press in Bannu. He and his family were squeezed in a mini-van with household items stuffed inside and packed on its roof. "We can't see our women, our children in pain anymore." He lived in Mir Ali town, which being a stronghold of the Pakistani Taliban has been a target of many of the strikes.
Baitullah Wazir and his neighbour Zahir Wazir in Mir Ali also arrived in Bannu. They said aircraft and helicopters had been carrying out strikes almost every night. "We just know that we are looking for some peaceful place," he said.
Tens of thousands of Pakistanis have died over the last decade in the Taliban's war against the state. The militants aim to enforce their harsh brand of Islamic Shariah.
Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif long has favoured peace talks over military action to end the bloodshed in the northwest, but he is also under pressure from critics to retaliate for any Taliban violence. Critics also say the militants have also used the peace talks to strengthen and regroup their ranks, and call for military operations to disrupt the insurgents' use of their northwestern bases to stage attacks elsewhere in the country.
Local media reported that Sharif's Cabinet was scheduled to meet Tuesday to discuss options for operations in the tribal region.
Rehman, the provincial officer with disaster management, said that his department had made preparations to accommodate 600,000 to 700,000 displaced people.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more World News