Man gets 3 years for threatening royalty
A man who threatened the life of Prince Harry has been sentenced to three years in prison.
A judge said Monday that 31-year-old Ashraf Islam presented a risk to the public. He had pleaded guilty last year to threatening the prince.
Islam was arrested after walking into a police station and making threats a day after a British soldier was killed on a London street on May 22. He was investigated by counter-terrorist police but was not charged with any terrorist offences.
Judge Richard McGregor-Johnson says investigators found that Islam had been tracking Harry's whereabouts and travel plans.
The judge says Islam had given "considerable thought" to his plot against the prince.
Harry was third in line for the British throne at the time of the threat.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more World News