Egypt's swine flu death toll reaches 38
Egypt's Health Ministry says the number of people killed by swine flu in the country since December has reached 38.
In a statement Sunday, the ministry said that more than 1,300 people have been hospitalized after being infected by the virus.
On Tuesday, the government reported 24 deaths from the virus.
In 2009, the global swine flu pandemic prompted Egyptian authorities to slaughter around 300,000 pigs previously used to dispose of the city's organic garbage. However, Jason McDonald, spokesman for the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, has said that the virus is now most often transmitted from human to human, and not through contact with pigs.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more World News