Wednesday, October 22nd13.3°C
23840
21740

Man returns home 18 yrs. after abduction

Nathan Slinkard was five years old when his mother failed to return him to his father as an Indiana court had ordered.

On Tuesday, the 23-year-old man was back home with his father, about a week after he walked into the United States Consulate in Guadalajara, Mexico, identified himself and asked to come home to the U.S.

His return 18 years after he went missing buoyed investigators who hope Nathan's return leads to a bigger reunion with his siblings and their father, Steve Slinkard.

"We all thought that after all the kids were legal that this would happen. It's just awesome that it still happened after all these years," said Hancock County Sheriff's Department Lt. Ted Munden, the last local investigator in the case.

Nathan Slinkard was 5, his brother, Andrew, was 7, and their sister, Sydney, was 3 in October 1995 when they went missing from Greenfield, a city about 20 miles east of Indianapolis. Authorities say their mother, Trena Slinkard, failed to return them despite a court order after their father filed a motion seeking full custody.

It wasn't immediately clear when the children were taken out of the United States, or under what circumstances Nathan Slinkard and the others separated.

Investigators had tried to track the family for years, Munden said. He said officers regularly pursued tips about possible sightings, but they always proved false.

Then Nathan Slinkard walked into the consulate office and provided his Social Security card and birth certificate to consulate officials, who also used scars to confirm his identity.

"It's great," Munden said.

Nathan Slinkard arrived in Indianapolis last week after a stop in Houston, the Hancock County Sheriff's Department and National Center for Missing and Exploited Children said Tuesday. He's been reunited with his father and aunt.

"He's staying with Dad right now," Munden said Tuesday. "He's a good kid, lots of ambitions."

The whereabouts of his siblings aren't known. Munden said Nathan Slinkard hadn't divulged the others' locations, but said they were safe and unconfined. Munden said Andrew and Sydney apparently know they are free to return to the U.S. if they desire.

"They're just not ready to do that yet," he said.

Munden said there is still a state warrant for Trena Slinkard's arrest in the custody case, but that police "would be more than happy to drop that warrant if they wanted to come back."

The Canadian Press

COMMENTS WELCOME

Comments on this story are pre-moderated and approval times may vary. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.



Read more World News




Recent Trending





23854

23821


23604



World Quick Links World Discussion Forum
United Nations
World Health Organization
UNESCO
World Trade Organization
NATO
European Union
The Commonwealth
Francophonie
Olympics
Google Earth


Member of BC Press Council


22864