Alleged LAX shooter pleads not guilty
The man authorities say killed a Transportation Security Administration screener and wounded three other people during a rampage at Los Angeles International Airport last month pleaded not guilty Thursday to murder and other felony charges in a case that could bring the death penalty.
Paul Anthony Ciancia, 23, who was wounded before his arrest, occasionally touched a bandage on his neck and spoke in a hoarse voice during a three-minute arraignment before a federal magistrate.
The diminutive defendant acknowledged his name in a near-whisper and that he had read his 11-count indictment.
Trial was set for Feb. 11 in a downtown Los Angeles federal court.
Authorities say the unemployed motorcycle mechanic arrived at the airport's Terminal 3 on Nov. 1 with the intention of killing TSA workers. Officials have said Ciancia had a grudge against the agency, but they have not indicated what prompted it.
After entering the terminal, police say Ciancia pulled a semi-automatic rifle from a duffel bag and began spraying the area with gunfire as hundreds of people fled in terror.
TSA Officer Gerardo Hernandez was killed. Two other uniformed TSA officers and a traveller were wounded.
Hernandez, 39, became the first TSA officer to die in the line of duty. A coroner's report showed he was struck by a dozen bullets. Witnesses have said that after first shooting him the gunman returned to shoot again when he saw Hernandez move.
Airport police arrested Ciancia following a gunfight in which they wounded him four times.
An indictment accuses him of "substantial planning and premeditation to cause the death of a person and to commit an act of terrorism."
Authorities say if convicted he could be sentenced to death.
Read more World News
- Weekend snow warningBC - 11:18 am
- Apex sale not a trouble signPenticton / S. Okanagan - 2:00 pm
- Oyama 'bomb' man chargedCentral Okanagan - 11:40 am
- Arrest in Amanda Todd caseCanada - 12:21 pm
World Health Organization
World Trade Organization