Charged over offensive tweets
British police will charge two people over a storm of offensive tweets sent to a feminist activist, an online onslaught that sparked a national debate over the limits of free speech and pushed Twitter to revamp its abuse reporting worldwide.
Prosecutors said in a statement Monday that 23-year-old Isabella Sorley and 25-year-old John Nimmo, both from northern England, would be charged with "improper use of a communications network" over messages to Caroline Criado-Perez.
Two other suspects will not be charged, while the statement said a fifth was still being investigated.
Criado-Perez was one of several women who went public earlier this year to complain about sexually explicit abuse received on Twitter from online bullies and provocateurs, often nicknamed "trolls." Twitter responded in August by making it easier to report abuse.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more World News
- CF-18s headed to Poland Canada - 9:16 am
- Premier talks 2nd crossingKelowna - 5:00 am
- City has eyes on youKelowna
- Doctor shortage surveyCentral Okanagan - 5:00 am
World Health Organization
World Trade Organization