Shooting at LAX
Nov 1, 2013 / 1:09 pm
1 p.m. Update: One person was killed and several others injured after a gunman entered Los Angeles International Airport, pulled an assault rifle out of a bag and opened fire in Terminal 3.
Tim Kauffman, a spokesperson for the American Federation of Government Employees, told The Associated Press that a Transportation Security Administration agent was killed.
Authorities initially said that six people were taken to area hospitals. The shooter was among the injured.
Update - 11:00 a.m.
The official twitter account for LAX is reporting that a suspect is now in custody and there are multiple victims. There is a press conference scheduled for 11:30 a.m. PST with airport police and LAPD Chiefs.
Police and paramedics have surrounded a terminal at Los Angeles International Airport because of a reported shooting.
The incident was reported after 9:30 a.m. Friday. Responding crews were outside Terminal 3.
Witness Brian Keech said he heard "about a dozen gunshots" from inside the security gate at Terminal 3.
Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey said emergency crews have responded to a multi-patient incident.
Television images showed two people being wheeled away by firefighters. Triage stations also were seen.
Another witness says up to three people were injured near the ticket counter in the terminal.
FAA has stopped flights preparing to take off for LAX.
There are multiple reports that a TSA (Transportation Security Administration) agent was shot.
More details to follow.
Read more World News
- Bride shared little emotion over his death
- Police clash with protesters in Ukraine
- Another theft from Walker's crash
- First national marketplace for legal pot
- Convicted killer executed in Oklahoma
- Backcountry skier survives avalanche
- World leaders pay tribute to Mandela
- Sound sleeper locked inside empty plane
- Guilty plea in ricin-laced letters sent
- World leaders gather in South Africa
- NY reporters sue Homeland Security
- Justin Bieber arrives in Philippines
(Click for RSS instructions.)