Cellphone stops bullet fired by robber
Oct 28, 2013 / 7:46 pm
Police say a cellphone saved a Florida gas station clerk from a robber's bullet.
Winter Garden Police said in an email that a clerk had just minor injuries after a robber fired a bullet at his abdomen. Police say his cellphone stopped it.
The close call happened Monday at 4:45 a.m. in Winter Garden, a suburb of Orlando.
A man entered the gas station and asked a clerk for help. Then he showed the worker a revolver and demanded he open the safe.
When the clerk couldn't open the safe, the robber ordered a second clerk to try. He was also unsuccessful.
The suspect fired a round at one of the clerks and fled.
Police say the worker had no idea the bullet had hit his cellphone until he pulled it out of his shirt pocket.
Read more World News
- Unrepentant Nazi killer dies at 92
- NYC commuter train derails, killing 4
- Ukrainians stage huge anti-govt rally
- Speed a factor in deadly celeb car crash
- Passenger train derails near NY
- Tens of thousands march in Kiev
- The world's ugliest dog dies
- Alaska plane crash tragedy
- A step toward to democracy after coup
- Gov't supporters and foes clash violently
- Plane crash in Namibia, kills all on board
- US man kills himself while awaiting trial
(Click for RSS instructions.)