Mount Etna volcano erupts in Italy
Oct 26, 2013 / 9:40 am
Mount Etna, Europe's most active volcano, has erupted, sending up a towering plume of ash visible in much of eastern Sicily.
Etna's eruptions aren't infrequent, although the last major one occurred in 1992.
Catania airport said the eruption Saturday forced the closure of nearby airspace before dawn, but authorities lifted the order in early morning.
Several inhabited villages dot the mountain's slopes, but evacuations weren't necessary despite the lava flow.
Read more World News
- Presidents & royalty at Mandela service
- Prince Harry's Antarctic race called off
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Thailand crisis deepens
- Progress seen since Typhoon Haiyan
- South Africans hold day of prayer
- Millions of residents hit by storm
- Obama to attend Mandela memorial
- 72nd anniversary of Pearl Harbor
- Egypt court reduces heavy sentences
- Attacks kill 15 in Iraq
- Mandela's state funeral set for Dec. 15
(Click for RSS instructions.)