Police arrest 5 for murder of toddlers
Oct 18, 2013 / 9:05 am
South African police say they have arrested five men for the killing of two toddlers whose bodies were found in a township toilet. The case has prompted angry protests by residents in the area where the slain children were found.
The South African Press Association reported Friday that the men face rape, murder and other charges.
Witnesses say some residents in the Diepsloot area north of Johannesburg, where the victims were discovered Tuesday, gathered outside a police station and demanded that officers turn over a suspect to them. The crowd later dispersed.
President Jacob Zuma has condemned the killings.
Read more World News
- Biden in Beijing amidst tension
- Train engineer sleepy at the controls
- Band of Brothers soldier dies in NJ at 90
- Thai violence eases for king's birthday
- Texas executes convicted murderer
- Trapped underwater for 3 days
- Ferry theft leads to security review
- Iceland's 'first ever' fatal police shooting
- Bob Dylan handed preliminary charges
- Man dies after shark bites his foot in Maui
- Train going too fast at curve before crash
- Safety review after ferry commandeered
(Click for RSS instructions.)