Boat capsizes off coast of Florida, 4 dead
Oct 16, 2013 / 6:00 am
Four people are dead and another hospitalized after a boat with more than a dozen people aboard capsized about 11 kilometres east of Miami.
Coast Guard Petty Officer Mark Barney says nine Haitian and Jamaican nationals were found clinging to the hull Wednesday.
Barney says a 10th person was taken by boat to Miami Beach, where he was hospitalized, though it wasn't immediately clear why. The rest of the group was taken into custody.
The U.S. Coast Guard responded about 1 a.m. Eastern (0900 GMT) after a distress call alerted authorities to the overturned recreational vessel.
Four bodies have been recovered. Barney says authorities have received conflicting reports about whether more people had been aboard the boat.
The Coast Guard is still searching survivors.
Read more World News
- NY reporters sue Homeland Security
- Justin Bieber arrives in Philippines
- Congress renews undetectable gun ban
- Cuddling biz closed amid brothel claims
- Thai premier says she will not resign
- Mob violence escalates in Africa
- Riot police deployed to Ukranian protest
- Kim Jong Un removes uncle from power
- US and Pakistan - the special meeting
- 100,000 march in Bangkok
- Storm blankets NFL fields with snow
- Uncle ousted for 'anti-state' acts
(Click for RSS instructions.)