Helping kids through sports
Aug 28, 2013 / 2:36 pm
A program aimed at ensuring all West Kelowna children have access to organized sports has received a big boost this week, thanks to two fundraising events.
West Kelowna KidSport™ has received a record $5,486 thanks to $2,800 raised during the annual Hockey Swap held Sunday, Aug. 25 and a generous $2,686 donation from the West Kelowna Warriors.
The Hockey Swap, held at Ultimate Hockey and Skate in Westbank Centre, provided parents and players the opportunity to sell used equipment, in good condition, with partial proceeds from each sale given to the local chapter of KidSport.
During the swap, the West Kelowna Warriors also presented a cheque for an additional $2,686 from proceeds of the first annual West Kelowna Warriors Alumni Weekend in June. In 2012, the Hockey Swap and a barbecue generated $2,944.
The District of West Kelowna would like to thank community volunteers, Ultimate Hockey and Skate, West Kelowna Warriors and Westside Minor Hockey Association for their ongoing, generous support.
KidSport provides support to children and youth, ages 18 and under, who face financial barriers that prevent them from playing in an organized sport. West Kelowna KidSport helps cover the cost of registration fees for one eligible sport, per calendar year.
Click here for more information about the program.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Improvements at Grizzly Road complete Dec 6
- Flash mob prom date proposal Dec 4
- WFN awarded new forest licence Dec 4
- Chamber changes to board of trade Dec 3
- 'Mr. Sandman' goes above & beyond Dec 3
- Hockey kids collect for the Philippines Dec 3
- Sandman rescues drivers Dec 2
- Van takes a slide in West Kelowna Dec 2
- West Kelowna fire fighters tackle hunger Dec 1
- Boucherie road reopened after rollover Nov 27