Most beautiful gardens
Aug 28, 2013 / 12:40 pm
Hard work in the yard paid off for a handful of West Kelowna home owners.
Mayor Doug Findlater, on behalf of West Kelowna Council, presented awards to the community’s Most Beautiful Contest winners, part of the District of West Kelowna’s participation in the Communities in Bloom competition.
“Your hard work to create these beautiful spaces is to be commended,” Mayor Findlater said to the winners. ”The District of West Kelowna is proud to recognize the special efforts that our residents take to make this such a beautiful community.”
The District of West Kelowna has participated in the Communities in Bloom program since 2005 and holds a Most Beautiful Contest every year. The categories have changed and evolved but the premise behind the contest is to provide an opportunity for residents to show off the hard work they put into their gardens, regardless of property size.
In 2013 West Kelowna received 13 entries in the competition. The winners are:
- Residential Large Garden Toni & Grant Maddock
- Residential Small Garden Cecile & Wally Derkatch
- Edible Garden Steffe & Jim Brown
- Business Garden The Cove
- Residential Large Garden Jean & Paul Saygnavong
- Residential Small Garden Otto & Gisela Karrer
Mayor Findlater thanked the three Master Gardeners who helped judge the contest for West Kelowna, Heather Doheny, Pat Zander and Hermann Matis.
West Kelowna Best Gardens
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Fire rescue boathouse open Dec 7
- Improvements at Grizzly Road complete Dec 6
- Flash mob prom date proposal Dec 4
- WFN awarded new forest licence Dec 4
- Chamber changes to board of trade Dec 3
- 'Mr. Sandman' goes above & beyond Dec 3
- Hockey kids collect for the Philippines Dec 3
- Sandman rescues drivers Dec 2
- Van takes a slide in West Kelowna Dec 2
- West Kelowna fire fighters tackle hunger Dec 1