Brown Rd closing for streetscape project
Aug 19, 2013 / 5:00 am
Brown Road will be closed for construction from Aug. 26 through mid-Nov, but access to businesses, churches and residences will be maintained during the Phase 1 Streetscape Improvement Project.
During construction, the public will be directed to use Old Okanagan Highway and then proceed along Bering, Gossett, Apollo or Drought Roads to access area businesses, churches and residences.
Some businesses and residences will also be accessible via Hoskins Road, off Main Street (Highway 97 southbound).
The District of West Kelowna and project contractor R & L Excavating will be installing construction signage the week of Aug. 19. Flaggers will be directing traffic during construction, starting Aug. 26.
The District of West Kelowna thanks the community for its patience during construction and asks that motorists respect flaggers and obey all construction signs posted in the area.
On Aug. 2, West Kelowna Council awarded a construction contract, in the amount of $2,586,619 to R & L Excavating Ltd. for Brown Road Streetscape Improvements Phase 1.
The project will include:
- Roadway improvements and repaving
- Underground relocation of overhead utilities
- Creation of designated parking areas
- Sidewalks and curb and gutter installations
- The addition of landscaping, irrigation, street furniture and ornamental lampposts
- Sewer, drainage and water main upgrades
BC Hydro is contributing $75,000 toward the cost of placing utilities underground and the Government of Canada and the Province of British Columbia are providing $586,034 through the Gas Tax Agreement, under the Community Works Fund, which is administered through the Union of BC Municipalities.
Additional project information is available on the District of West Kelowna website.
Questions or concerns may also be provided to the District of West Kelowna’s Engineering Department by calling 778-797-8840 or emailing [email protected]
Read more West Kelowna articles
- WFN awarded new forest licence Dec 4
- Chamber changes to board of trade Dec 3
- 'Mr. Sandman' goes above & beyond Dec 3
- Hockey kids collect for the Philippines Dec 3
- Sandman rescues drivers Dec 2
- Van takes a slide in West Kelowna Dec 2
- West Kelowna fire fighters tackle hunger Dec 1
- Boucherie road reopened after rollover Nov 27
- Chronic runaway still missing Nov 27
- Premier's riding goes 'Up in Smoke' Nov 27