Evacuations at Copper Sky
Feb 18, 2013 / 11:25 am
1:15 p.m. update: Residents of Copper Sky Development have been allowed to return home. FortisBC confirmed gas leaked from the line for almost an hour before it was stopped.
11:25 update: People who live at the Light House RV Park are now able to head back home. FortisBC has stopped the gas from leaking. Roads are now open in the area.
11:00 a.m. update: Emergency officials have evacuated approximately 30 people from Copper Sky in West Kelowna.
Fire officials say a contractor hit a main gas line and they are now waiting for FortisBC to shut the gas off to the line.
The residents are gathering in the recreational centre of the condo project.
The Lighthouse RV Park beside Copper Sky has also been evacuated.
The roads in the area are now open.
10:35 a.m.: A gas line has been hit at Copper Sky and evacuations are taking place.
There are no reports of injuries.
Old Okanagan Highway is also being closed from Louie Drive to Bayview.
We have reporters on location, more details to follow.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Castanet viewer captures truck fire May 24
- Most sportfields re-open in West Kel May 24
- New potable water station operational May 24
- Council knows 'one way' to save cash May 23
- Long weekend = camping May 17
- Kids Care spray park opens on weekend May 17
- Glen Canyon Regional Park expanded May 17
- 'Helping Hands' helps those in need May 16
- Trapped under a van, pinned by tires May 16
- Child abduction scare May 16