Feds give $3.5M to West Kelowna
Jan 18, 2013 / 3:02 pm
The Regional District has transferred $3.5M in federal Gas Tax funding to the District of West Kelowna.
The funds are earmarked for upcoming improvements to the municipality's transit system.
This funding had previously been approved with the Regional District prior to West Kelowna incorporation in 2007.
Money will be transferred from the City of Kelowna to West Kelowna for construction of a new transit exchange on Westgate Road near Mount Boucherie as part of Phase 2 of the Rapid Bus program.
The regional District of Central Okanagan will also work with the Union of BC Municipalities and West Kelowna to work out a new funding arrangement with the municipality.
The UBCM administers the federal Gas Tax funding agreement.
Design of two new transit exchanges at Westgate Road and Westbank Centre is underway with construstion expected to start in the summer.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Long weekend = camping May 17
- Kids Care spray park opens on weekend May 17
- Glen Canyon Regional Park expanded May 17
- 'Helping Hands' helps those in need May 16
- Trapped under a van, pinned by tires May 16
- Child abduction scare May 16
- Missing man located May 14
- Cops bust another West Kelowna grow May 14
- Pub staff and patrons become heroes May 13
- Creeks in West Kelowna remain stable May 13